Environmental Policies

Living a one planet lifestyle means reducing waste, as well as minimising the carbon impact of our company, burying waste is not a sustainable option in the long term as landfill creates a more potent greenhouse than carbon dioxide, as well as creating carbon dioxide emissions through transport and through energy embedded in the material we throw away.

Barbarellas believe in fairness and respect to our planet, which is why we now use fair-trade and Rainforest Alliance produce wherever possible. As these markets grow, so will the range of produce we will be able to provide our customers with.

Barbarellas aims to ensure that waste is always minimised throughout any process our company undertakes.

Here at Barbarellas Catering our centre of attention is on how we can implement and improve upon our operation as an ethical, environmental and socially responsible company. We focus on all areas of our business to assess our environmental impact and how we can best manage and reduce it.

We at all times comply with applicable local and governmental environmental regulations as well as going that extra mile to ensure our sustainability and eco efficiency.

We find that the most important value we can have is to provide a balance between what our clients want and how we can deliver this service in a responsible and sustainable way.

Please support all at Barbarellas in their endeavour to save our planet.

Recycling

At our premises we have recycling procedures for our paper, cardboard, recyclable plastics and glass. We currently have a 90% recycling rate and the other 10% is bio degradable, so that we will hardly leave a footprint on our planet.

We believe in working in an efficient kitchen environment as this produces a higher quality end product for our customers and reduces waste. We always have and always will monitor and regulate our stock very carefully minimizing any food waste that is produced. However, we will endeavour to look at more responsible ways of dealing with our food waste in the future, such as composting.

All of our food is delivered on recyclable platters which we then collect to be cleaned and re - used, we always recommend to our clients that this is the most sustainable process rather than using disposable items that are then sent to land fill sites.

Transport

We believe that the less our food has to travel to reach you, the less pollution is produced.

Unfortunately it is the nature of our business to use delivery vans, being a catering delivery service, however we can minimise the pollution we produce by controlling the miles we do and reducing the size of engines in our delivery vans. For example each of our vans will deliver on the most economical mileage route possible to our customers and also collect the previous days equipment from that area.

We will endeavour to replace all of our future vans with equally sustainably fuelled vehicles.

Our Suppliers

Barbarellas believe in fairness and respect to our planet, which is why we now use fair-trade and Rainforest Alliance produce wherever possible. As these markets grow, so will the range of produce we will be able to provide our customers with

Barbarellas also support our local producers, whether it be sweet and juicy Kentish Gala apples, free range eggs or fresh crisp salad cress from our local farms in Kent, after all Kent is the garden of England.

All our suppliers carry their own environmental policies regarding the responsible sourcing of its products. We also review our suppliers on a regular basis to ensure their values regarding the produce are in line with our own.